Get a 10 % discount on an order above $ 100!
Week 2 Discussion: Working With Children and Adolescents versus Adults
Post your answers to the following:
Explain why a developmental assessment of children and adolescents is important.
Describe two assessment instruments and explain why they are used for children and adolescents but not adults.
Describe two treatment options for children and adolescents that may not be used when treating adults.
Explain the role parents play in assessment and treatment.
Sadock, B. J., Sadock, V. A., & Ruiz, P. (2014). Kaplan & Sadock’s synopsis of psychiatry: Behavioral sciences/clinical psychiatry (11th ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer.
· Chapter 2, “Contributions of the Psychosocial Sciences” (pp. 93–130)
· Chapter 6, “Classification in Psychiatry” (pp. 290–299)
· Chapter 31, “Child Psychiatry” (pp. 1107–1152)
American Psychiatric Association. (2013). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (5th ed.). Washington, DC: Author.
· “Neurodevelopmental Disorders”
· “Intellectual Disabilities”
· “Communication Disorders”
Thapar, A., Pine, D. S., Leckman, J. F., Scott, S., Snowling, M. J., & Taylor, E. A. (2015). Rutter’s child and adolescent psychiatry (6th ed.). Hoboken, NJ: Wiley Blackwell.
· Chapter 2, “Diagnosis, Diagnostic Formulations, and Classification” (pp. 17–30)