NR 443 Complete Week Project Discussions Package
NR 443 Complete Week Project Discussions Package
NR 443 Week 1 Discussion Latest
Determinants of Health (graded)
What makes some healthy and others ill? Healthy People 2020 identifies five Determinants of Health that influence the health of individuals and populations. Healthy People 2020 describes them this way as “a range of personal, social, economic, and environmental factors that influence health status are known as determinants of health” (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2014, About Determinants of Health, para 1.
Determinants fall into five categories, including: a) policy making, b) social factors, c) health services, d) individual behavior, and e) biology and genetics.
Health-measures/Determinants-of-Health and click on each determinant to read about all of the determinants.
Choose one of the five determinants. In your posting, describe this determinant and its importance.
Discuss how this this determinant relates to one intervention from the Public Health Intervention Wheel (Nies & McEwen, 2015, pp. 14–15).
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. (2014) Healthy People 2020: About Determinants of Health.
NR 443 Week 2 Discussion Latest
Demographic and Epidemiological Assessment (graded)
For this discussion, you will collect assessment data about your city or county. This post will include information about demographics (general characteristics) and epidemiological data (disease or health behavior rates) of your community.
1. Demographic data: Go online to the U.S. Census Bureau at Obtain information about the demographic characteristics of the population for your city or county of residence. You may have to look at county data if your city is not listed. Collect a range of demographic data about age, ethnicity, poverty levels, housing, and education.
2. Epidemiological data: Go to your City or County Health Department website (search the Internet) or County Health Rankings to discuss epidemiological data about your area. Identify several priority health concerns for your area.
3. Identify several priority health concerns for your area.
There is a helpful tip sheet about the US Census website located in Doc Sharing that will assist you in using this website.
Nies, M. A., & McEwen, M. (2015). Community/Public health nursing: Promoting the health of populations (6th ed.). St. Louis, MO: Saunders/Elsevier.
NR 443 Week 3 Discussion Latest
Caring for Vulnerable Populations (graded)
Review the Week 3 Case Study that is found in Doc Sharing. This case study focuses on a vulnerable young woman who is facing many risk factors.
Discuss several risk factors that may impact health outcomes for vulnerable populations.
Assurance is one of the three core functions of public health. Find a resource in your community (other than WIC) that could assist Mary during her pregnancy. Start by searching the internet for your local health department’s website. What services do they provide for pregnant women, those living in poverty, or those with mental health concerns? What about your local welfare office? Do they provide prenatal or mental health services? Are there any service organizations, crisis pregnancy centers, or churches providing help for pregnant women or those experiencing mental health concerns? (The Internet, your local newspaper, and the telephone book may also help you locate resources)
- Briefly describe the types of services that you found.
- Choose one agency and assess this agency in terms of the 4 A’s. Is it accessible, acceptable, affordable, or available for Mary or other pregnant women that you case-manage?
- Are there adequate resources for other vulnerable populations in your community?
NR 443 Week 4 Discussion Latest
Healthy People Objectives for Community Settings (graded)
Community health nurses practice in a variety of settings. Choose one of the following CH roles and describe what you have learned about the nurses’ role in that setting (see Chapters 29 –33).
- School Nursing
- Health Nursing
- Faith-based or Parish Nursing
- Home health Nursing
- Hospice Nursing
- Forensic Nursing
- Correctional Nursing
The federal government developed Healthy Peopleas a set of national health objectives that are revised every 10 years. These objectives are very specific in order to guide and measure our nation’s progress related to public health. Please visit. Click on a topic area that relates to role you chose to discuss. Click on the green Objectives tab in that topic area to choose one Healthy People 2020objective.
- Discuss one specific numbered Healthy People 2020objective (not a goal) related to this community health role.
- How could a community health nurse help meet this objective?
In Doc Sharing is a helpful “Introduction to Healthy People 2020website” document to aid you in navigating the HP 2020website.
Nies, M. A., & McEwen, M. (2015). Community/Public health nursing: Promoting the health of populations(6th ed.). St. Louis, MO: Saunders/Elsevier.
NR 443 Week 5 Discussion Latest
Disaster and Communicable Disease Preparedness (graded)
Preparing for disasters, terrorist threats, or communicable disease outbreaks is an important part of public health nursing. Visit the website Review the steps for being prepared for a disaster or pandemic.
- Choose a natural or manmade disaster that could impact your community and discuss how a CHN can help the community prepare or respond to this disaster.
- Choose a potential infectious disease outbreak and discuss how a CHN can help to prevent or respond to an outbreak.
- How well is your community prepared for a potential outbreak or disaster?
Federal Emergency Management Agency. (2016). Ready: Prepare. Plan. Stay informed. Retrieved from
Federal Emergency Management Agency. (2016). Pandemic. Retrieved from
NR 443 Week 6 Discussion Latest
Environmental Health (graded)
Visit the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s My Environment site at and enter your city and state or zip code, or location into the location box. Explore the site to learn more about your environment and things that might be impacting the health of its citizens.
- Identify something new you learned about your environment and how it could be affecting health by completing this statement, “I didn’t know _____.
- How could you, in the role of a community health nurse, address these concerns?
Optional: For more environmental health information, you can also visit:
- Environmental health tracking:
- Air quality:
- Toxic release inventory:
NR 443 Week 7 Discussion Latest
The Affordable Care Act (graded)
The Affordable Care Act is a controversial topic, and I’m sure there are many different viewpoints represented in our class. For this discussion, let’s start by focus on understanding the basics of the Healthcare Marketplace so that we can provide accurate information for our patients and communities. Please explore the healthcare marketplace website at Choose the “get answers” tab towards the top of the page.
- Review several of the topics under this tab and share two things that you learned about how the marketplace works.
- How does this information apply to those in your community?
- As a healthcare provider, has this raised any ethical questions or concerns for you?
NR 443 Week 8 Discussion Latest
Future Directions (graded)
Reflect on what you have learned in this course.
- What future concerns are likely to impact public health?
- How do you see global health concerns impacting your community?
- How can you apply what you have learned in this course to your current practice?